Hurricane 2016 - when your tent turns into a swimming pool (part 1)

The Hurricane Festival is a german festival that takes place at the Eichenring in Scheeßel, since 1997. It's one of the biggest Festivals in Germany and by now opens its doors for about 70.000 visitors each year. The Hurricane Festical combines a mix of Pop, Rock, Alternative and Electronic music. I have never been to the Festival even though I have had several chances. This year the festival celebrated its 20th anniversary with Headliners like Rammstein and Mumford & Sons, so I decided to go and visit the Festival from the 24th to the 26th of June.

My best friend, who finishes school this year, already arrived on Thursday so I gave her my tent to bulild it up, because we wanted to camp together. She built up our tents on the camping space 3, which was kinda close to the Festival entrance and the camp of Carly and other friends. 

June 24th 2016 - first day of the Festival

I arrived on Friday at lunch, after school. I knew it had been raining really hard the day before and so I arrived to a tent that looked more like a swimming pool from the inside. My sleeping bag was all wet and semmed more like a waterfall when I got our than like a sleeping bag. Luckily I brought my clothes with me on Friday so they weren't wet. I planned to put my sleeping bag into the sun so it would dry, but apparently there was nothing but rain until noon. Then at noon I was finally able to put it into the sun. 

Shortly after I had arrived I met up with Carly and Esther who were camping in camp 10, which was right by the supermarket and the food court. I spent a few hours with them drinking beer and just taling about life in their camp before we went to our first concert of the Festival which was AnnenMayKantereit, a german band characterized by the deep voice of the lead singer. After the concert finished we had three more concerts of only german groups coming up - Trailerpark, Rammstein, who put on an unbelievable show with fireworks and a lot of fire on the stage, and K.I.Z. 


All the concerts I saw that day were absolutely amazing. Even though the weather was bad and most of the tents were filled with water, no one lost their good mood. Everyone partied and I was more than happy to not relive something like Rock am Ring. 


I gotta say that Rammstein blew me away the most. I didn't see the whole show, but what I saw was absolutely amazing. They fired fireworks each few minutes and had such a big fireshow on stage, I was afraid something would burn down. They jumped around and just spread their good mood and even though it's not my kind of music, they make, I still enjoyed it the most that night. After the concerts had finished I was really tired already and went back to my tent to sleep.

From far I heard the other people still cheering to the last concerts and going hard at the party stage. Luckily my sleeping bag was dry by the time I arrived at the camp and I had covered my tent up with a roof of a pavilion so it wouldn't get any more wet in case it would rain. I layed down in my tent and fell asleep faster than I would have thought. 


June 25th 2016 - second day of the festival

I woke up around 10am and it was raining. My tent was luckily still dry so putting the roof over my tent worked. I didn't want to go out in the rain so I first checked my phone to see that the Southside Festival, which is the twin festival of Hurricane, got cancelled because of bad weather conditions and hurt people. I charged my phone and thought abour whether to go out and see Carly or not, because I promised her to visit her in her camp that day. 

But it just wouldn't stop raining and the organizors of the Festival decided to open the Festival later than it was actually planned. So around lunch I decided to go visit Carly and Esther instead of waiting for it to stop rain as I knew it wouldn't stop raining and I hadn't eatean anything and slowly got hungry. I went out into the rain, wearing a rain coat and went to the supermarket to buy some food for me, Carly and Esther. Since it was raining really hard I didn't have to line up long to get inside. After I had bought everything I went to their tent in camp 10. 

I sat down with the both of them in their big tent where you were able to stand in and opened my first beer of the day, while it was still raining outside. Outside of their tent other people were blasting music while we were just planning on who to see that day and what to do until they would open the festival. After a few hours Toni called me and asked me if we wanted to meet at 4:45pm in front of the festival to go see the first bands of the day like The Offspring and The Prodigy; but sadly shortly afterwards I got a notification on my phone saying they wouldn't open the festival before 8pm and that they were working on a new timetable. 

So we decided to go back to the Camp of Toni and the rest of our friend. It had stopped raining by then so we left with two cans of beer each. By the time we reached the camp it had started to rain again so we got under their big pavilon to be safe. We sat in one big circle with a big music box in the middle, blasting music. We stayed like that until 8pm when we got ready to leave for the Festival, even though only three acts I wanted to see were on the new timetable. 


The first few people of us left and just as we wanted to walk after them they came back and told us the whole day was cancelled due to bad weather conditions. So there were no concerts on Saturday. We went back to the camp and chilled for a few more hours until Carly and I decided to leave again. I sat down in my tent, messaged a few people and eventually fell asleep around 4am, listening to music and the soft sound of the rain in the background.. 









Share:

0 Kommentare