Fischer-Z - going to a concert with the one person I got this love from

Fischer-Z is a british rock band formed in 1976 by John Watts and Steve Skolnik. My mom has been a big fan of them for years now and always talked about how she wanted to see them again, when she found out they were coming to Hamburg this year. Last time she had seen them was in 1997, so she asked me if I could turn something to get us in. I messaged the organizor and immediately got a reply saying that they'd be happy to have us there, so I took my mom to see Fischer-Z again, after almost 20 years.


I didn't know Fischer-Z or any of their music before I went to the concert, since I actually wasn't planning on going there. I was excited anyways because my mom and I have a pretty similar music taste, so I was curious about what would be expecting me on the 24th of May 2016. 


Fischer-Z in Hamburg, May 24th 2016 @Fabrik

The concert was supposed to begin at 9pm so my mom and I got to the venue 20 minutes early, got a beer and chilled a little bit outside before we went in at 8:55pm. When we went inside the vintage kinda wooden venue was already filled with people downstairs as well as upstairs where people would stand behind a barrier all around the venue, so you were able to see the concert from every angle. My mom and I tried to get to the side/front. We ended up on the left side of the stage, a little bit further away but with a good view. 

The moment I entered the venue I knew it would be a really interesting concert because I was by far one of the youngest persons in the crowd. Fischer-Z formed in 1976, so it's more a band of my moms generation and not of mine, in fact barly anyone of my friends knew who they were. So I stood there in the middle of 40 - 50 year old people impatiently awaiting the concert to begin. 

Around 9:15 the concert started, without a supporting act. John came on the stage and made a short announcement before a guy came on stage and told us a little story about how 40 years ago he first saw Fisher-Z in concert and then saw him again at a radio station. It all went so far that now they made a radio station together on Fischer-Z's website where you can listen to the bands music 24/7. After the guy left John came on stage solo to "warm up a little" as he said. He played two songs with his guitar and then the rest of the band came on stage. 

When the band was complete the crowd started cheering and singing along to the music. By then I felt kinda helpless not knowing the lyrics, but it was still fun and something completely different to see people my mothers age on a concert instead of screaming 14-year olds. 

After a while my mom went outside for a bit because her meds made her feel pretty warm. A few minutes later she told me that she would be standing all the way in the back now and watch the concert from there, so I went up to her, to spend the concert with her and also because I felt kinda helpless in the crowd all on my own. When I reached my moms spot she was obviously enjoying the concert, since she loves concerts as much as I do and has been to at least 100x more concerts in her life than I have (now you know where I got this from). 

I only stood with my mom for a few minutes because I wanted to see what the concert looks like from above and to take a few photos. The area upstairs was booming, people were sitting at tables on benches, watching the concert on a TV while other were dancing and singing along like crazy, standing against the barrier. I went around the whole area and looked at the stage and the crowd from every angle. It was pretty cool to just wander around during the concert and see all those happy adults singing along. 

When I went back downstairs my mom and I went outside for five minutes to cool down and then went back inside to see the rest of the show, which ended at 11pm. So the show lasted almost 2 hours with 2 encores, what is nowadays something you don't really get to see anymore, in fact my favorite band doesn't even come out for an encore. 

After the concert my mom and I went through the venue to find concert tickets we could keep, since we both collect them and don't get any when we're on the guestlist. Luckily we found two and were able to leave at 11:10pm, what made me more than happy because I usually already sleep at 10:30pm since I need a lot of sleep.

All in all I gotta say that Fischer-Z and the crowd really surprised me that night. Not only that their music and Johns voice was amazing, also the whole feeling in the venue and during the concert made me just happy. Even though I was almost the youngest at the show I felt really welcome and it was so amazing to see how people that age enjoy concerts. No phones, no cameras, just the band and the crowd. I almost felt bad taking phots for my blog. It was a fun show and it made me happy to see my mom so relaxed and happy during the whole show. I would definitely go again. 






Next up is AC/DC and Rock am Ring Festival 














Share:

0 Kommentare